Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Stem=Straw experiment


In science we are discussing how plant stems act as a straw and carry water to all other parts of the plant. I saw this experiment online and decided it would be a great way to demonstrate how the stem carries water.  I had the students make prediction charts and they had to predict what they thought would happen. After two days we checked the celery stem and they students assessed their predictions. The students were very excited during this experiment. Personally, I was not very happy with the results. You could see red around the edges of the celery leaves but it was not as vivid as I was picturing. Next year I plan on using carnations instead. 

Materials: 
Glass jar
Celery stalk
water
red food coloring

No comments:

Post a Comment