Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Grass Caterpillar


For science class and as an Occupational Therapy activity we made grass caterpillars. The students loved this activity but beware because it is messy! To start mix grass seed and soil in a large pot. Then pour the seed into about a 8-12 inches of women's pantyhose. It helps if you use a funnel. Tie a not at the top and then use rubber bands to make the pantyhose into 3-4 lumps. Students will see the grass growing in multiple steps. This is a great activity to show plant roots. We used a squirt bottle to water the grass. When the grass started to grow long we gave it a "haircut." We also used a data chart and drew pictures to chart our caterpillars progress.

1 comment:

  1. We have made dirt babies too! My kiddos love giving them haircuts! Hahahaha!

    Where is your follow button? I am sad I cannot follow you. I would love for you to come visit me. I have lots and lots of *freebies* which might help since you are a new teacher. I would love for you to come visit so I can follow you later. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete